Thursday, May 25, 2006

(Sexual) Harrasment

It was a chilly after-school afternoon. I doned a light blue button-up sweater over a white spaghetti-strap top and A-line navy blue skirt (school requirements), black tights and black sportshoes. Basically, top-half: casual-wear; lower-half: too lazy to change.

I was rushing to the library to ask if they have any job vacancies. I was enjoying the walk alone.

As my shoes scraped on the steep driveway, my nose breathing in the familiar scent of the road (carbon monoxide); I thought, why not have a visit to St. Theresa church?

I did just that, and I love the design and the way the church was built. I especially adore the interior designs; it reminded me so much of First Purchase, a church described by Harper Lee in To Kill a Mockingbird. The building of First Purchase Church in the 1930s was funded by the black people living in Maycomb, a Southern town in America.

Although St. Theresa church was cleaner and well taken care of, it gave me a rare feeling that I'm stepping into First Purchase. St. Theresa's sermon is a black man and so is the preacher in First Purchase. The similarities they shared warmed my imgination.

After admiring the church for quite some time, I tore myself away from there and resumed my excursion to the library.

And then, it happened...

I was humming a simple tune, oblivious to the danger ahead of me. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a Samoan/Maori/Islander (or some other race) man crossing the road and walking towards me. He stopped me and I willing listened to his enquiries.

At first, I thought he was asking directions. I couldn't hear properly, because his accent was too strong. And when I did, I was outraged.

He was begging to 'fuck', shooting my boobs with a leery look.

He even asked what colour are my panties; could he lick my pussy...

I was stupefied and a look of rejection crossed my features. I ignored him and walked away.

Thankfully, he did not follow me. He crossed back to the opposite side of the main road and walked up a slope, bent down and seemed to be picking up a box or rummaging in it to search for something.

I did not seek out what he's gonna do next as I don't wanna have eye contact with him or even coincidentally bump into him again. It was too much to bear.

My thoughts were:

a) WTF?!
b) I can't believe this is happening to me!!
c) fucking sicko

(This is not a multiple-choice question.)

At that moment, I was still calm. I was thinking if that man were to follow me, at least I'm not leading him back to where I'm staying.

I did make a report to the police, and I appreciate everyone's understanding. I called my friend, Ceya first before calling the police. We discussed on what I should note down about that man and time of incident.

I cried after telling the details to the policeman. He asked if he should call up someone to talk to me on this night. I said fine and he did just that.

Unfortunately, Barbara (the counselor) called when I was having dinner. I was too distracted eating to recount the horrible thing that happened. So, I told her just that and she said she'll call again tomorrow during the day.

I'm having exams next week and we have to provide our own paper. I guess I have to rewrite the whole biology report on the day of the practical. I screwed up, or I could just make up my results if the experiment fails.

NCEA~

No comments: